Leadville’s well-recognized and historic red brick building wasn’t always the Heritage Museum and Gallery. Built in 1904, it was originally the city’s first library, a building famously funded by Andrew Carnegie. It wasn’t until the Lake County Civic Center Association acquired it in 1971 that it became a heritage center. Since then, the Heritage Museum and Gallery has prided itself on collecting and exhibiting all sorts of Leadville memorabilia. Objects include Victorian furniture, mining and 10th Mountain Division artifacts, fine art, an assay office, theatrical cabinet cards of entertainers who performed in Leadville, and a scale model replica of the world’s largest palace of ice, built in Leadville in 1896.
Heritage Museum and Gallery
102 East Ninth Street