It’s hard to miss the “eye”—a stained glass window tucked under an arched eve—that makes the House with the Eye Museum the most curious piece of architectural history in town. Built in 1879 by Eugene Robitaille, the home’s arched eve is a great example of the architectural whimsy popular in the 1880s. The “eye” was not installed to put a curse on nearby State Street’s red-light district (as some liked to believe) but is simply another example of the then-popular architectural convention of adding fancy or unusual stained-glass windows to otherwise plain home fronts.
Step inside and see what families of modest means considered the best in home furnishing and décor during the 1880s. Displays include a circa-1925 electric player piano, a black, leather shoe that belonged to “Baby Doe” Tabor, and a 1904 Edison Rotary Mimeograph machine.
House with the Eye Museum
127 West Fourth Street